Though they were understandably nervous, I was so pleased to see smiles on each and every on of their faces after each round, and the resounding consensus was that Speech and Debate was fun!
After three rounds of competition, our team made an excellent showing at the awards ceremony. Based on their performances during their three rounds, the following students were recognized:
- Jade Felthoven, '18, Excellence in Original Oratory
- Ben Berry, '17, Superior in Dramatic Interpretation
- Kenna Kluckhohn, '18, Excellence in LD (1-2 record)
- Paris Grigsby, '18, Superior in LD (2-1 record)
- Bailee Jones, '18, Superior in Congress, nominated for Best Speaker
I'd also like to extend a special thank you to the varsity members who came to judge. When they weren't judging rounds, they went to observe and support our novices and made sure our newest competitors knew what was happening as the tournament progressed. Thank you to Jordanne Stobbs-Vergara ('15), Kiana Phillips ('15), Olivia Howard ('16), Danielle Newton ('16), and Abigail Allyn ('17). With their leadership and guidance over the course of the tournament, I know our novices felt more at ease.
We're off to a great start! I know we're going to have an awesome year!